What to do if instead of paying her rent for this month, my tenant says there was a major leak in the home and she used the rent money to get it repaired?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if instead of paying her rent for this month, my tenant says there was a major leak in the home and she used the rent money to get it repaired?

The rent amount is $1,200 and the leak costed $1,300 to repair. She did not give me a chance to contact my insurance company at all. Now I’ve started eviction procedures and we have a court date next Thursday. I looks like she is trying to avoid eviction and stay in my house indefinitely. Can she legally do that? Each month, find a problem and withhold rent?

Asked on June 25, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) No, even IF she were allowed to apply the rent to the repair (see below), that was a one time thing--one she's applied enough rent to cover the repair, she has to pay rent again. So she can't stay there indefinitely.

2) There are times when a tenant may "repair and deduct" like this, but in order to do so:

a) the tenant has to give the landlord notice of the problem; and

b) the tenant has to give the landlord some reasonable opportunity to fix the problem

and only if the landlord fails to take action despite notice and opportunity, is the tenant entitled to make the repair and withhold the rent. Based on what you write, it is unlikely that she acted properly, so when you go to court, the court may disallow her self-help remedy and require her to pay that rent to you. Going forward, if she doesn't provide notice and opportunity, she should not be allowed to do this; and in any event, the problems would have to be provably real *and* also problems of a type that affect habitability. So a major leak that is causing flooding, mold, etc.--that is something that a tenant may fix under the right circumstances. A leaky faucet that is merely annoying--no.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption