IfI fell in a public restroom andrefused treatment but medical assistance was called over my objections, am Iliable for the bill?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI fell in a public restroom andrefused treatment but medical assistance was called over my objections, am Iliable for the bill?

I got injured in the bathroom of a public courthouse. A person who was at the scene had asked me if I needed medical assistance and I explicitly told this person that I did not. Despite my wishes, the person called 911 anyway and I was transported to the hospital and treated in the ER. I now have over $3000 in bills and counting (I have no insurance) that I’m on the hook for. Since I refused treatment to begin with, would I still be legally liable for these bills or would this burden fall on the person who called against my will? Would I have any recourse in this situation?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfirtunately for you, if you fell in a public restroom, medical assistance was called for you and you refused treatment but ended up receiving medical treatment, you are responsible for the bills for this treatment under the laws of all states in this country. The person calling for assistance would not be liable for your bills and you would have no recourse legally against him or her.

The rationale is that given the injuries that you susptained, you might not have been in a condition of knowingly waiving medical treatment. Public policy in this country is to render medical assistance to those in need.

If you cannot afford to pay your medical bills of over $3,000, I would contact the accounts receivables department at the hospital where you were treated to see if somehow its bill to you would be able to be reduced where you can make installment payments on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption