Injured from a WestField Mall Sliding door yesterday. How do I start to sue for my medical , missed work, pain and suffering?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Injured from a WestField Mall Sliding door yesterday. How do I start to sue for my medical , missed work, pain and suffering?

Yesterday, I walked into a mall. As I entered the mall, the sliding door slammed shut with me in the center. The metal doors smashed my arm very hard. I immediately felt the pain my right arm. I called the management office and was put on hold for 7 minutes. Enough time for me cry and walk the entire length of the mall to their office. Once entered, I walked to the receptionist, told them, I was the one on hold and that their door slammed into me, I was hurt and someone should check on. the guy apologized for the hold and asked me to find their security office and fill out an incident report. I asked to speak to someone like a manager but was told that’s the only thing they can offer. I’m crying in pain by now and tried to walk to security. I explained the incident and that I was supposed to fill out a report but I will need a copy for myself which they refused, saying they do not make copies to hand out. I just left and proceeded to my car to find an urgent care facility, based on the high co-pay of an ER. As I made my way to the other end of the mall, security followed me tapping on my shoulder saying,

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Notify the mall's insurance carrier in writing that you will be filing a personal injury claim.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Your claim filed with the mall's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document your injury and are used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursment.
If the case is settled with the mall's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the mall's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit based on premises liability.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.
CA has a two year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in a personal injury case.  This means the lawsuit must be filed prior to the second anniversary of the date of the accident or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption