If my stepmother inherits out father’s house, upon her sdeath do I have any rights to it?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my stepmother inherits out father’s house, upon her sdeath do I have any rights to it?

Our father died several years ago and we assume his second wife had joint tenancy of their home in FL. When she passes do we, his children, have any inheritance from the house or is she free to leave it all to her children? Our father bought the house outright with his own money.

Asked on August 23, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, if as you indicate, she inherited it (e.g. as the surviving "joint tenant"), then it became hers to with as she wants, such as leaving it to her children, not you. Even if she does not have a will, since stepchildren do not inherit (unless it is specifically willed to them), her children, not you would inherit--you do not have inheritance rights at law from a step-parent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption