What is the law regarding copyright infringement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding copyright infringement?

I started a company where I purchase vintage patches from antique stores or ebay which I then sew onto hats. They are one of a kind designs. Does this infringe on a companies branding? The one of a

kind vintage patch in my possession, may I silkscreen onto T-shirts, etc.?

Asked on October 30, 2017 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sewing a physical patch you purchased onto a hat or other item of clothing does not violated copyright: you are allowed to resell, including attached to another item something you own, even if it has copyright material on it. However, reproducing or recreating copyrighted material is a violation of copyright, because you have no right to copy, reproduce, modify, etc. someone else's copyrighted content. Stick to reselling, in way or another, the physical patches themselves.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption