What can I do if my former employer is telling prospective employers that I am

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my former employer is telling prospective employers that I am


I sincerely hope you can help me as I am at the end of my rope and in need of help. I have been looking for work for over 2 years now and have had many interviews to no avail. I recently found out my previous employer of almost 19 years has been giving out the information that I am

Asked on August 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is, unfortunately, likely nothing you can do. An employer is allowed to designate a former employer is inelgible for rehire; it is the employer's choice whom to hire (or rehire) or not. And a former employer can make a truthful statement about your relationship with them--such as that you are not eligible for rehire. Unfortunately, there is very little you can do to stop a former employer from "blacklisting" you so long as their statements are true, even if unfair and devoid of the larger context. (If they make untrue factual assertions about you, you could then sue them for defamation and/or for tortious--or wrongful--inteference with economic advantage--or your ability to earn a living.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption