What doI do if an individual stole myproduct idea despite my pending patent?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do if an individual stole myproduct idea despite my pending patent?

For the past several months I have been designing and developing a product. A local shop that I went to in order to have a part machined ended up stealing my product idea and selling it as well. I have a patent pending website initial purchase records, etc. to show my ownership of the product. I have confronted the individual and he has no desire to stop selling the product. What can I do?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Business Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You just answered the question yourself. Find an attorney and sue him for damages. What else can you do?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption