Individual Medical Insurance

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Individual Medical Insurance

I have an individual medical insurance policy with a Texas company called an MSA plan. The same comapny sells an identical plan called an HSA plan the only difference is that the deductible and copay is higher on the HSA policy. The company is requiring me to go through underwriting to switch from the MSA plan to an HSA plan. My agent tells me that the switch is automatic and I keep the same write up percentage of 20% above standard. Which one is correct? Please advise. Please include source references. Thank you.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Insurance Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact your state's Dept of Insurance and review medical insurance guidelines on such matters.  Why? Because either way, you need to be assured by the Department who regulates such insurance companies that underwriting may be needed. 



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption