How to get unclaimed property left in my great-grandfather’s name If his heir died after him?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get unclaimed property left in my great-grandfather’s name If his heir died after him?

My greatg-randfather passed away 20 years ago. My grandmother was legal heir and she passed away 6 years ago. The state’s unclaimed property roll shows 3 items for my great-grandfather. When my grandmother died there was paperwork kept since she had no estate. How do I show a claim to the state?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Was there a probate for your Great Grandfather through a WIll or intestacy proceeding that can show that she was the legal heir and then a death certificate for your grandmother?  This could help along with an affidavit.  But depending you may have to open an estate of some sort for your grandmother.  It depends on what the unclaimed property is and amounts to here.  It passed to your grandmother so her estate has to accept it.  If it falls under the small estate laws then you wil have an easier time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption