Independent adoption. What is the simplest and most inexpensive way to handle an independent adoption.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Independent adoption. What is the simplest and most inexpensive way to handle an independent adoption.

I have identified a person who is willing to place their child for adoption. The child is due in June. The biological parent would like to relinquish their rights before delivery so we can take the child home. Can this be done as simply as writing a notarized letter stating these facts and signing reliqushment papers?Would we need a home study? GA.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Business Law, Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes I would take all extra steps possible to ensure nothing was overlooked with the process. I am not admitted in GA but suggest that you contact a local attorney who specializes in this area of law. This can be a very confusing time for you as well as the expecting mother. You want to ensure nothing is going to be reversible and that all necessary paperwork is filed.

There are protocols to adopting a baby and you must follow them otherwise you run the risk of losing the child. The specifics will be provide by a local attorney. Once you have the attorney you can also get the final paperwork ready to go for the baby's birth to hopefully allow you to take the baby home

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption