in washington state.does she owe her husband alamoney after three years of marriage simply because he is dissabled

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

in washington state.does she owe her husband alamoney after three years of marriage simply because he is dissabled

an employee of mine filed for separation and was told because her husband was disabled that she would have to pay him 500 a month. I don’t think that is right

Asked on March 9, 2019 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally, the spouse who has been paying more of the couple's or family's costs or contributing more to the family's lifestyle will pay support (alimony) to the other. Similarly, the spouse with with the higher-paying job and/or greater earning potential generally supports the other. So the issue isn't his disability per se: it's you and his relative finances and job prospects--his disability could, of course, impact that, but I have worked with several disabled attorneys who make a very nice living, so being disabled by itself does not mean you need support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption