in virginia i cant drop pressed charges. how an i get the DA to understand that the charges should not go forth

UPDATED: May 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

in virginia i cant drop pressed charges. how an i get the DA to understand that the charges should not go forth

My ex boyfriend and I had been arguing it got to the point were Imessed up his truck and he grabbed. I was going to let it go, but i got a call from the police that he was at the station to file charges and they wanted my side. he didnt file them. but i went on to file assault charges knowing that he will be sent to jail for a long time. out of emotional malice “if he is leaving me for her she is not going to have him either” he doesnt deserve to loose his life because of my pride.

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact a criminal attorney in the area where all of this happened.  He will have contacts with the people in the prosecutor's office.  Hopefully he can just get them to drop the charges without any trouble for you.  However, you might not be so lucky;  making a false police report is a crime.

Anyway, you should a have a lawyer do this for you; it would be better if you don't go to them yourself. 

And don't wait.  The longer you take to deal with this, the worse you make the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption