Does a grown son/daughter need to be specifically named in Will so that they will not inherit anything?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a grown son/daughter need to be specifically named in Will so that they will not inherit anything?

I have 2 grown children. How do I disinherit them?

Asked on August 12, 2010 under Estate Planning, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally, you can not disinherit your spouse and you have no obligation to leave anything to your children.  That is true in the state of Oregon as well.  State law on disinheriting your children, however differs, so it is best that you consult with an attorney in your area that specializes in this area of the law to be sure that your wishes are followed out.  Some states require that you specifically disinherit your children: for reasons known to me and to my son, I am not leaving him anything in my Last Will and Testament or any part of my estate.  Some states do not care and you can just leave him or her out.  But then make sure that there is a "no contest" clause meaning that anyone who contests the Will gets nothing and a "residuary clause" as it is called in some states, for any property not specifically left to someone: All the rest, residue and remainder of my estate goes to X.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption