in the state of nc if i get a dwi in my personal vehice can they stop me from driving a commerical vehice

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

in the state of nc if i get a dwi in my personal vehice can they stop me from driving a commerical vehice

just wanted to know because thats what i was doing for a living and i got fired

Asked on April 17, 2009 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Heck yes.

If your license is revoked for DUI it is revoked period. The ability to drive commercial vehicles is typically an add on to the regular license.

Think of it the state's way. Wouldn't you be far more potentially lethal driving a big truck while drunk than driving a small car? The state figures people who drive drunk are likely to continue to drive drunk and need to be given a severe warning and loss of driving privileges -- not just their car.

Sometimes a judge may as a condition of parole permit a person convicted of a DUI to continue to drive just for business, but once the state takes away your license, game's over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption