If I am forced to move to another state, can I cancel my gym membership?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am forced to move to another state, can I cancel my gym membership?

It is not noted in my contract, they only talk about canceling the contract if I die or become disabled. Is there any state legal law that states I should be let out of my contract?

Asked on January 28, 2014 under General Practice, Illinois


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, the terms of the contract will dictate under what circumstances you can be released from the contract.  If the gym is part of a chain and they have a gym in your new state, you should be able to transfer the membership to your new state.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption