If an employee is provided housing as part of their job, how long do they legally have to vacate the property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employee is provided housing as part of their job, how long do they legally have to vacate the property?

We own a poultry farm and prove housing and utilities for a full-time caretaker and a part-time caretaker. Our county makes us go through the same eviction process as if the tenants are paying rent to us instead of us providing housing as a part of their salary. Are there laws that cover this arrangement? If so, how can I utilize them? Are there written agreements that could be signed by both parties in order to make the process more simple?

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no way to circumvent going through the normal eviction process: the law does not let you avoid the protections and "due process" built into the system. While you should make sure you have a written agreement making clear that they only receive housing as part of their employment and that they will lose the housing if/when their employment ends, and should--if you terminate such an employee, provide a written termination notice and written demand for possession, such will only help with the eviction process; it will not let you avoid it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption