If I switch health insurance carriers, am I responsible to the prior carrier for unpaid premiums?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I switch health insurance carriers, am I responsible to the prior carrier for unpaid premiums?

If I have an individual health insurance policy,and change health insurance carriors (but do not inform prior carrior of the switch), am I responsible to the prior carrior for unpaid premium. If so, for how long am I responsible for premium payments?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Insurance Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to carefully read your health insurance contract to see if you are obligated to pay for the whole agreed upon term or if you can cancel it before the end of your term. Most policies allow the individual to cancel the policy before the end of the full term of the policy.

You would be responsible for paying the carrier for unpaid premiums before cancellation. You most likely would be responsible for unpaid premiums before written cancellation of your health insurance policy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption