Is my employer obligated to reimburse me for work-related mileage?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer obligated to reimburse me for work-related mileage?

Is my employer obligated to reimburse me for local, work-related mileage? Also, if I was given a raise and it didn’t go into effect until just over a month later (there was no mention that there was going to be a delay at the time the raise was given). Is this legal?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) No, employers are not obligated to reimburse for work-related mileage; many do, but that is voluntary. Keep records of your mileage for your tax preparer--it may be that you can get some tax benefit.

2) Unless you had an employment contract or agreement delineating when the raise would go into effect, the employer may delay it--for that matter, the employer could have rescinded it entirely, had it chosen to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption