Are youth ministers exempt from overtime pay?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are youth ministers exempt from overtime pay?

My wife is salaried at 30k, but is frequently required to work more than 70 hours a week with no comp time or extra compensation whatsoever. This seems unreasonable but I want to know if it is legal.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Just because your wife is a salaried employee as a youth minister does not under the law exempt her from overtime pay. The key issue is whether or not she is in a management or a non-management position.

If she is in a management position where she oversees people, is in charge of hiring and firing people, and makes important decisions for the youth ministry, she is a manager and exempt from overtime pay. I suggest that she consult further with an attorney that practices employement law to discuss her situation and whether she is entitled to overtime pay or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption