Can someone other than the purchaser sign a commercial land contract?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone other than the purchaser sign a commercial land contract?

The purchaser is XYZ, Inc. Another individual signed as purchaser on the sale

contract. Is it binding?

Asked on November 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is legal IF that person was a representative of the corporation who, by dint of his or her title and position, would normally or resonably have the authority to bind the corporation to a transaction like this (e.g. president, VP, senior manager, etc.). Or if the person had some written authoritzation from the corporation giving him/her the necessary authority. But without having authority by virtue of his/her title/position, or some other grant of authority, this may well not be a binding or enforceable contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption