What will happen if I quit my job after giving 2 weeks notice instead of 3 months asstated in my contract?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I quit my job after giving 2 weeks notice instead of 3 months asstated in my contract?

I am a dentist and have a contract with a dental clinic. As per the contract, I need to give 3 months notice for resignation. I don’t want to work with them anymore and want to quit ASAP. Can I give 2 weeks notice and leave the company?

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you provide less than the contractually required notice, you will be in breach of contract. Your employer could potentially sue you for costs incurred thereby--for example, if they had to pay a premium to temporarily hire, or recruit in a hurry, a dentist to cover for you, they could recover the additional costs, over and above what they would have paid you, for the 10 weeks between the amount of notice you provided and the notice you should have provided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption