In Oregon can I take someone to small claims court for unpaid services if I didn’t have a business license?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Oregon can I take someone to small claims court for unpaid services if I didn’t have a business license?

I do freelance wedding flowers. The lady gave me a deposit and excepted my terms
for service. I purchased all the flowers and supplies i need and four days
before the wedding she canceled on me. Is she responsible to pay me for what i
purchased.. I have tried recovering the money several times to no avail. I want
to take her to small claims court but I’m afraid that since I was doing the work
without a business license they will throw the case out. Can I still take her to
court even though I didn’t have a business license? Thank you

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Business Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Here from the Secretary of state: The state of Oregon doesn't have a general business license. However, many occupations and business activities require special licenses, permits or certifications from state agencies or boards.  Further, there is a directory that you can search to see if your busness requires a license, which I am going to give you here.  But if you put in "floral" or "wedding" it does not appear you need a license to create the deigns and arrangements for weddings.  Your contract will govern. The Terms of Service needs to be reviewed to make sure it will hold up as one.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption