If a beneficiary wants to renounce their inheritance but is married, does their spouse also have to sign the renunciation?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a beneficiary wants to renounce their inheritance but is married, does their spouse also have to sign the renunciation?

If a house is owned by a father and niece, as either tenants in common, or joint tenants with no survivorship rights. The father dies with no Will (or no gift of his %of house to the niece). His portion would pass to his living children (spouse predeceased). All children are allowing the niece to keep the home and are renouncing their share.

Asked on January 21, 2015 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is an inheritance. It is considered separate property and therefore, your spouse has no legal interest in this gift.  You can renounce.  Now, renunciation of the gift can take many forms so make sure everything is done legally and that you are also not taking any mortgage, either. Deeds and mortgages are two different things.   As to the father and niece, a tenancy at will does leave each with a percentage but a joint tenancy does not create that right for any beneficiaries. A joint tenancy creates an automatic right in her so make sure you know the correct title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption