If I was sued for alienation of affection, what would happen if I didn’t pay?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was sued for alienation of affection, what would happen if I didn’t pay?

I looked up all I could find on alienation of affection n my state and it looks like I’m going to loose the case. I don’t have any money; I don’t even have a job. So what would happen if I didn’t pay? Also, I no longer live in the state can I still be sued?

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question relating to awards given to plaintiffs for successfully proven alienation of affection cases.  The majority of states no longer recognize this type of claim; alienation of affection and criminal conversation cases.  You would need to be sued in a state that recognized these actions and also has jurisdiction over you.  Jurisdiction can be determined by where the parties reside or when the action to the claim took place. 

 Only North Carolina, Illinois, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah recognize alienation of affection and criminal conversation as legally cognizable claims.  If you are able to be sued in any of these states, then you need to consider a sizeable judgment could be found against you.  Verdicts have been growing in size for these types of cases, but the jury and judge will consider the length and extent of the relationship that created the alienation of affection case.  The judgments in these cases are treated like any other judgment.

If you decide to not pay the judgment some states allow the pursuit to garnish your wages.  This will also appear on your credit report that you a judgment against you.  Depending on the amount of the judgment, it could affect you getting or keeping credit card accounts and/or mortgages. 

If you believe that the other party has a solid case against you, it may be in your best interest to seek the assistance of an attorney in your area that specializes in these matters.  While the attorney might cost you some money, it could save you a great deal of money and hardship in the future.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption