Can a criminal record be expunged if the offense was non-violent?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a criminal record be expunged if the offense was non-violent?

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan



Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The criteria for setting aside a conviction (commonly known as Expungement) does not rest on whether the conviction was violent or not.

Under the statute which has be recently amended,  it has to do with whether it is an excluded offense (such as a capital offense or even traffic offense) and how much time has passed since probation or incarceration has ended (at least five years) and whether you have any other convictions on your record.


If you quailify pass the statutory screening,  it becomes a discretionary decision before the judge in the court for which you obtained the conviction that you are trying to get expunged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption