If the sheriff’s sale is tomorrow, how long do I have before I have to move out?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the sheriff’s sale is tomorrow, how long do I have before I have to move out?

The sheriff’s sale it tomorrow but I can’t get the u-haul rental until the following day. I have my 15 year old son with me. We are leaving but I don’t want to get locked out. How long does the law allow for me to be in the home without having to worry? I just need 2 days tops.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  State law may dictate otherwise (and you should maybe call legal aid or a pro bono (free) attorney in your area) but if you do not leave once the new owners take legal ownership they would have to evict you if you do not leave voluntarily.  So you should be fine but you may want to call the lender and negotiate te time in writing to be safe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption