HowdoI go about getting an annulment?

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

HowdoI go about getting an annulment?

I married my boyfriend of 7 years 7 months ago. I found out yesterday that he and another woman have a 6 month old baby and he had a 1 1/2 year relationship with this woman. He had knowledge of this baby when we married. I was shunned by my traditional family for marrying this man and he knew all of these things. In TX.

Asked on December 24, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that you could get an annulment, though you clearly may divorce him. An annulment is generally awarded when there was a "fraud" on the marriage--something either making the marriage impossible or undermining the very idea of marriage. For example, one person is below the age of consent; one person is mentally impaired; one person is actually gay; one person has no interest at all in having children; etc. However, despite the betrayal and hurt, someone having had a child with another person before the marriage and not disclosing that fact is not held to be the sort of fundamental fraud which renders a marriage invalid. You should meet with a family law attorney to discuss your options, including any assets or support to which you may be entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption