What to do to get a car that was gifted to me, transfered into my name?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do to get a car that was gifted to me, transfered into my name?

About 9 months ago, my brother-in-law gifted a vehicle to my husband and me. We waited to register it until we had moved to our new home in a different county. In the meantime though, we got divorced. Part of the settlement was that I got the vehicle, to which the brother-in-law agreed because the title was still in his name. However, several months have passed since the divorce was finalized and he still has not signed over the title despite repeated attempts by my husband and me to get him to do so. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless the brother-in-law was part of the dissolution agreement and appeared in the matter, you really cannot force him to transfer the legal title of the vehicle to you at this time absent a lawsuit seeking declaratory relief that he do so.

I suggest that you, the brother-in-law and your "ex" have a face to face meeting and have him bring the pink slip to the meeting where he transfers title of the vehicle to you.

Absent such, you have to sue him for an order transferring legal title to the car to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption