In Indiana, what is the process for a Deed in lieu?

UPDATED: May 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Indiana, what is the process for a Deed in lieu?

I started a deed in lieu with my mortage company, and after research on my own, I thought if they acepted it, I would sign over the paper work, and they would take the house. Well my mortage company called me yesterday, and said that the mortage insurance wants me to give 15 k to help out with the loss or they won’t proceed with the deed in lieu. I didn’t think I would have to give money for this? Can they request that?

Asked on May 7, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No.  Then that would be considered a modification and you would keep the house. Soooooo, here goes, You need to immediately contact your State's banking department (sometimes called department of financial institutions) and begin a complaint...explain the urgency and see what happens. If your mortgage company is actually regulated by the OCC (office of the comptroller of the currency) or OTS (office of thrift supervision), then you need to contact those agencies.

Do not sit on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption