In Indiana. If an employee is on paid vacation can they be forced to attend a staff meeting in person or by phone

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Indiana. If an employee is on paid vacation can they be forced to attend a staff meeting in person or by phone

An employee is being told they have to call in
for a meeting while they are on vacation
because they are not leaving town

Asked on July 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an employer can be made to perform job duties while on vacation. However, if they are a "non-exempt" worker (i.e. typically one who is paid hourly), then they must be paid for such time. The fact is that most work arrangments are "at will". This means that an employer can set conditions much as it sees fit. Accordingly, unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement or your treatment constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination, it is perfectly permissable.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption