In Indiana how long will a DUI or OUIL stay on your driving record?.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Indiana how long will a DUI or OUIL stay on your driving record?.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First of all, a DUI stays on your driving record and criminal record forever.

What you are thinking about here is, what period of time must pass before a prior DUI is no longer considered in terms of penalties imposed in a DUI conviction.  By virtue of something known as the "look-back period" a prior offense is not considered in sentencing.  For example, in a state with a 10 year look-back period, if you were to have another DUI in year 11, the punishment for the second DUI would be the same as if it were your first.

Unfortunately, Indiana's look back period is not so straightforward.  Without knowing details of the offenses in question I can only provide a link to a site that will help you make a case specific determination:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption