If a 24 year old male had conceptual sex with a 16 year old female, would that constitute statutory rape?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a 24 year old male had conceptual sex with a 16 year old female, would that constitute statutory rape?

If so, does she have to press charges or can her parents press charges?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) It appears that the "age of consent in HI" is 16, so if the female were 16 at the time of the sexual act, that it would not be what is commonly known as statutory rape. Below I will insert a link to the relevant law in HI (sexual assault in the third degree). On the other hand, if she was less than 16--even a day less than 16--it appears it would be a crime.

2) Either the girl herself or her parents could, if the act were criminal, bring it to the authorities' attention and thereby press charges. Once brought to the authorities' attention, the female and/or her parents are no longer "in charge of" the action--they are simply witnesses--and it's up to the police and prosecutors what to do.

Here is the link: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0707/HRS_0707-0732.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption