In dissolution, if one party wants to postpone the court date final hearing, should both parties be contacted first to approve?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In dissolution, if one party wants to postpone the court date final hearing, should both parties be contacted first to approve?

I will not receive child support until the final hearing, which was scheduled for the 17th. My soon-to-be ex told me it was postponed until the 31st because he thought I was going to be out of town. That is not true and if someone would have contacted me, I would have told them that. I work in a school and I go back to work on the 20th. So now I have to take off work to attend the final hearing and of course the child support is gone for at least those 2 weeks. It seems common sense that this would happen alot, the more it postpones, the less he has to pay.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It seems odd that he was able to postpone the hearing without the court contacting you, but there isn't anything you can do about it now except make sure it doesn't happen again.  I would contact the judge's judicial assistant and let them know you were not out of town and you want contacted before any additional postponements occur.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption