In AZ can the state take your home away from you if you cant pay nursing home bills

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In AZ can the state take your home away from you if you cant pay nursing home bills

Buying a home and wondering if I should put it in my daughters name

Asked on December 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could lose your home if your nursing home bills are paid for you by Medicaid. The law doesn't let you keep your money and assets (like a home) while forcing Medicaid--which means other people, since Medicaid is funded by taxpayers--to pay for you. Therefore, the law lets the state take your money in the bank and real estate to pay for your nursing home expenses. So this is certainly a risk.
As to what you should do--consult with an estate planner to understand the best option(s) to protect your home. They differ based on the situation: there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption