What are my rights to an item of my late mother?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to an item of my late mother?

Several months ago my mother died. My husband and I accumulated 13 roundtrip cross country fares and other travel expense my the time that she died, at least $20,000. The last time we saw her alive, she told us she wanted to give us money to help with our expenses but didn’t before she died. She left everything to my younger brother. When I left, I took a 14k gold charm bracelet that was not legally specified in her Will. My brother knew and said go ahead. Now I received a court order to return the bracelet. Am I legally obligated? I don’t specifically want the bracelet,and told my brother if he wanted to give me a check for $10,000, we’d call it even. My sister is contesting the Will, if that is relevant.

Asked on September 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the issues that have arisen. If your Mother gave you the bracelet while she was alive then your claim is that it was a gift.  If your Brother consented to giving it to you with out authority to do so (he was not the executor at the time) then you could be accused of stealing the asset. Even if he was executor if your sister is contesting the Will then the executor has an obligation to make sure that all assets are there that should be there and to keep them safe before the court makes a decision on the Will contest. If your brother was left everything - real property and personal property - then you have no right to the item unless it goes through probate.  You may want to discuss your options with a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption