If a 19 year old boy is dating a 16 year old girl and she gets pregnant, can her parents have him arrested?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a 19 year old boy is dating a 16 year old girl and she gets pregnant, can her parents have him arrested?

They were aware of them dating for over a year.

Asked on October 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

While the age of consent in Alabama is 16, her parents are still responsible for her well being if she is unemancipated.  "Dating" has a different connotation than "sex" to parents. And while it does not appear that Alabama statutory rape statutes cover you at the onset there could be other statutes  - like those that say you were a bad influence - that could be used.  I would speak with your parents and consult with a lawyer just in case.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption