In a Virginia divorce, is a spouse obligated to work an additional job?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In a Virginia divorce, is a spouse obligated to work an additional job?

If a spouse, who has a full-time job, took on a part-time job to help pay the mortgage and other household expenses, is he required to keep the part-time job if he no longer needs it?

Asked on March 5, 2018 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am unclear exactly what you mean but let me see if I can explain the catch 22 that sometimes happens in a divorce.  One party takes on another job or works a ton of overtime in order to help maintain a lifestyle.  Then their gross income is higher.  When they file for divorce the court bases issues like alimony and child support on that number.  So in order to maintain the support they may be ordered they may have to keep the job. I would strongly suggest you seek consultation with an attorney as to your options.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption