in a joint car lease, can one party terminate the lease without the agreement of the other party?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

in a joint car lease, can one party terminate the lease without the agreement of the other party?

I have a joint car lease with a guy I used to see. We are no longer together. I want to keep the lease and make the car payments myself, however, he is threatening to terminate the lease and have the car taken away from me. Can he do that?

Asked on March 24, 2016 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, unless the lease specifically states that one party can unilaterally terminate it, a joint lease, like any multi-party contract (since that's what a lease is: a contract) requires the agreement of all parties to terminate. So generally, you and the car dealer/leasor would both have to agree to its termination. Of course, he can stop paying his share, and while you'd have the right to sue him for the money (for his share), you'd have to sue to get it. But in the meantime, if you kept up the payments, the lease would stay in effect. If you want the car and he does not, then best may be to see if you can resolve this amicably by entering into an agreement with this fellow in which you agree to make all the payments and to indemnify him for any costs in connection with the car, in exchange for you retaining sole use thereof.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption