If my brother and I are co-owners of 2 properties totaling 80 acres and he and his wife get a divorced, would she be able to get any of the land?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother and I are co-owners of 2 properties totaling 80 acres and he and his wife get a divorced, would she be able to get any of the land?

Asked on February 25, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It depends on several factors. First, when the land acquired? If pre- or before his marriage, she'd have no right to it: a spouse only gets rights to assets or property acquired in or during marriage.
Second, even if acquired during marriage, how was it acquired? If you and your brother purchased it, she may have rights to it, since it would have been bought (presumably) at least in part with money acquired during marriage. But if you and your brother inherited it, she would have no right to it: spouses do not get rights to their spouse's inheritances during marriage, as a general matter. 
Third, how is the land owned? Her right to get part of his share of the property may be affected by whether you and he own it as "joint tenants with right of survivorship," or JTROS, or as "tenants in common."
You are advised to bring copies of the deeds/title to a family law attorney and review wth him all the circumstances of how and when the land was acquired in order to better understand what may happen her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption