What steps can I take if my husband only married me for his green card?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps can I take if my husband only married me for his green card?

About 2 years ago I got married to a man in Pakistan. It was an arranged marriage with my consent. He got his visa and came to America 7 months ago. We never got registered as a married couple here in the US. After living with him, I now realized that he only married me so he could come to America and get his green card. I want him to go back.

Asked on August 11, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You cannot make him go back but if he has a conditional green card and you really believe that the marriage was not in good faith on his part, you can notify the USCIS of this when it is time for him to get his conditional status removed.  However, keep in mind that if he is able to show that the marriage was bona fide,  he may still get to keep his green card and you have no power to have him deported.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption