If I was charged with a felony of debit/credit card abuse 7 years ago and since then I’ve been unable to find a job, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with a felony of debit/credit card abuse 7 years ago and since then I’ve been unable to find a job, what can I do?

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were only charged, but never indicted on the allegation, then you could petition the court to have your record expunged so that it would not haunt you. 

If you were indicted and subsequently placed on deferred adjudication, you could petition the court for what is called an "order of non-disclosure."  This won't clear it off of your record completely, but it will prevent the general public (like future employers) from having access to your history.  Law enforcement would still have access with this type of order.

If you pled guilty and were placed on a regular, strait probation or did jail time, you're probably stuck with the conviction unless there was something illegal about your sentence that could be reversed with the filing of a post-conviction writ.

For any of these options, a criminal defense attorney should be able to help you.  If you are not sure what the effect of your sentence was (for example deferred or strait probation), then get a copy of all of your paperwork from the district clerk and let the attorney review it to see exactly which options you could potentially qualify for. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption