What to do if charitable donations have been co-mingled with the funds of other charities?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if charitable donations have been co-mingled with the funds of other charities?

About 13 years ago, a charitable memorial scholarship was set up in my late husband’s name with a business association that he was involved with. It was initially funded by outside funds from friends and relatives. Scholarships were awarded annually. It has come to my attention that the board of this association has now mingled it with other charitable funds and removed his name as being the sponsor. They did not inform nor discuss this situation with me before doing such. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on January 10, 2014 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your locality with expereince in charitable scholarships to see if the terms and conditions of what your husband gave have been violated where the scholarship amounts need to be returned to you resulting from the breach. Such an attorney in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption