Immigration through marriage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Immigration through marriage


My wife is American from Alabama
and I am British from England. My
wife currently lives in the UK with me
on a spousal visa but we would like to
move to the states in the next couple of
years if possible. How would we go
about this. Everything I have googled is
either relating to one spouse being in
the states already or both parties not
having American citizenship.

She holds a valid US passport and ha
family in Alabama. I hold a valid UK

Any ideas of where to start looking
would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards


Asked on January 26, 2019 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your wife is a US citizen, she would need to petition for you as her spouse in order for you to be eligible for an immigrant visa as a spouse of a US citizen and once you are issued that visa (about 1 year wait) at the US Embassy in London, you would be able to travel to the US to reside there as a permanent resident (green card holder).  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption