Immigration for brother.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Immigration for brother.

I am originally from India but am a US citizen since 2007. I wanted to apply
for Green Card / permanent residency for my younger brother born June 1986
who lives in India. My brother has Downs Syndrome and I want to be his support
provider in the years to come. He is very well mannered, independent and has
been working at McDonald in New Delhi for the last 9 years.

Please guide me towards taking the right steps. Also will his medical condition
hinder his eligibility towards obtaining a green card?
Feel free to call me if you need any further details 603-398-3695


Asked on April 21, 2016 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It will be about 10-12 years before a sibling of a US citizen petition can be eligible for an immigrant visa so this is probably not the most practical option for you.  HIs condition per se will not be a hindrance in immigrating but it will be many years from now that this could be a reality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption