What will happen if a boy was brought to the US several years ago but never became a citizen and now he has been arrested?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if a boy was brought to the US several years ago but never became a citizen and now he has been arrested?

His father died when child was age 9. As a teenager he had multiple arrests in 2 states; most resulted in fines and diversion. Now at age 21, he is being held in city jail on charges of domestic violence and robbery. He does have 1 child born here. I.C.E. has a hold on him. What are the chances he will stay in the US? Will he be deported? Do they consider his past criminal activities even though under the age of 21?

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Immigration Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If this boy is not an American citizen and is over the age of 18 and not married to an American citizen, there is a very good chance that as an illegal alien who has committed a crime that he willbe deported to his country of origin. I suggest he consult with a criminal defense and immigration attorney immediately. One in his community can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption