Im pregnant with my new boyfriend. Can i get divorced?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Im pregnant with my new boyfriend. Can i get divorced?

I left my husband March 26th, 2013. I have been in my current relationship since July 3 2013. We recently found out we are expecting a child. Can i get divorced while i am pregnant? What else can i do to make sure my boyfriends name goes on the Birth Certificate?

Asked on July 26, 2016 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can always file for divorce--pregnant or not; pregnancy has no bearing on your right to divorce.
To make sure that your boyfriend's name, not your current husband's goes on the birth certificate, you either need your husband to deny paternity (officially, in writing) or you need a paternity test to show the child is your boyfriend's. A family law attorney can help you with the paperwork and documentation relating to this, as well as with the divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption