I’m in the sod business and have a contractor that has not paid for the sod, 75 days past due, can I file a lien against his business?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m in the sod business and have a contractor that has not paid for the sod, 75 days past due, can I file a lien against his business?

The house we installed the sod on has already been through the closing process and is no longer in the contractors name. Is there any way to file a lien against the contracting business or property where we installed the sod? My business in Oklahoma, amount is 2295.64.

Asked on August 12, 2016 under Business Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue the customer (the contractor) for the money they owe you: you would sue for breach of contract (violating the agreement, even if only on unwritten one, to pay for the sod) and for "unjust enrichment"--but being unfairly and inappropriately benefited by getting your sod without paying for it. After you sue and (presumably) win, you can then put a lien on the contractor's property, or levy on his bank accounts, to recover money if he still won't pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption