im currently back in pain what should i do?

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

im currently back in pain what should i do?

i was in an auto accident at the time i didnt know i was pregnant i found out i was pregnant while going through treatment every thing was ok. i had minor pain while being preg. my dr. said we would have to wait tell after delivery because it could be pain related to preg. the pain had decreased to where it was minor now a month after delivery i feel very sharp pains again and two weeks ago i called the insurance company to turn and release medical bills.the insurance company is acting like i shouldnt be this hurt saying it was a minor impact accident but my car was totaled out.

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Accident Law, Iowa


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, you should be aware that the statute of limitations on personal injury claims is two years from the date of the accident in Iowa.  It appears that you are well within this time period so you are ok.  It is irrelevant how the insurance company is "acting".  What is important is that you provide them with all your bills for treatment and medical reports from your physician, especially the one or ones who treated you just following the accident who diagnosed your pain.  This is a more difficult case due to the intervening pregnancy and it may be hard for you to prove that your current pain is due to the accident from several months ago.  If there was a large amount of damage to your car, that will make it a bit easier for you to argue.  Still, you might want to consult with a personal injury attorney near you if your bills are or will be sizable for treatment (say, over $3000) Once you get an attorney, however, the insurance company will likely ask you to go for an independent medical exam (IME) to determine what caused your current pain.  And, your attorney will take about 1/3 of your settlement amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption