I’m being sued for a car accident. Should I get a lawyer

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m being sued for a car accident. Should I get a lawyer

I got into a accident in a company truck
while doing normal duties. I was named
at fault and got a ticket. The lady is
suing me and the company I used to work
for. I’m not sure what to do. Should I
get a lawyer if so what kind? Will my
ex employer assist me or am I on my own?

Asked on August 23, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer *may* assist you, but is not required to; no law requires them to defend, provide a lawyer for, pay any judgment against, etc. an employee who was in a vehicle accident during work time. Whether to get a lawyer is basically a cost-based decision: how much are you beng sued for? Assume an attorney will cost at least $1,500, quite possibly several thousand; if you are being sued for enough to justify that expense, hire an attorney, but if being sued for barely more than the likely legal fees (or less than them), you probably should represent youself, since it does not help you to avoid being ordered by a court to pay $1,000 if you have to pay $1,500 to your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption