I’m a Wisconsin tenant and I don’t want to move out of my home. How can I avoid eviction? What are my Wisconsin tenant eviction rights?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are a Wisconsin tenant and you have been given a Wisconsin termination notice, you have a few options. If your notice gives you the right to cure, you should try to do so. This means paying your rent if it is late or fixing the breach of the lease. If you have been given a non-right to cure notice, merely paying the rent or fixing the breach will not save you. You can try to negotiate with your landlord and see if it is possible to get him or her to drop the termination.

In the alternative, you can wait for the summons that will arrive shortly after your landlord files for eviction. When you get the summons, note the date of the hearing and be sure to follow instructions. If you do not answer the summons, default judgment may be entered for your landlord – meaning you lose. In order to get a trial, you must respond to the summons. At trial you will be allowed to file any counterclaims you have against your landlord.

If you have reached this point in the eviction process, you may wish to seek the advice of an experienced Wisconsin evictions lawyer to help you defend against the eviction or to advise you as to any rights you may have with respect to the circumstances surrounding the termination notice and the unlawful detainer action.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption